The following recipe is courtesy of Laura Kalina and Cheryl Christian, who wrote the Low GI Cookbook. To learn more about the glycemic index, low GI eating and more recipes go to www.lowgimeals.com.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 zucchini, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 jar (24 oz/700 ml) Italian tomato sauce
1/2 tsp each dried oregano and dried basil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced with stems removed
1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1 pkg (300g) soft tofu
1 pkg (300g) frozen spinach, drained
2 pkgs (300g each) extra firm tofu
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sauté zucchini,
peppers, onion and garlic until onions are transparent.
3. In a large bowl combine tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and mushrooms.
4. In another bowl, mix soft tofu with spinach.
5. Slice extra firm tofu into 1/8-inch to 1/4 -inch slices to act as lasagna noodles.
6. Oil a 9 x 13 inch lasagna pan with the remaining olive oil. Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Add a layer of tofu as you would lasagna noodles. Top with some of the spinach mixture and then some grilled vegetables. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top.
7. Repeat until all ingredients are used (you will have 2 or 3 layers). Top with remaining mozzarella and lastly sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
8. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.